Sunday, May 2, 2010

Week 14: Gay Film



MIKE
If I had a normal family, and a good upbringing,
then I would have been a well-adjusted person.

SCOTT
[Laughs]
Depends on what you call normal.


MIKE
Yeah, it does. Well, you know, normal, like, like
a mom and a dad and a dog and shit like that.
Normal. Normal.

SCOTT
So you didn't have a normal dog?

MIKE
No, I didn't have a dog.

SCOTT
Didn't have a ... a normal dad?

MIKE
Didn't have a dog or, or, or a normal dad anyway.
That's alright. I don't feel sorry for myself, I
mean, I feel like I'm, I feel like I'm, you know,
well-adjusted.

SCOTT
[Laughs]
What's a normal dad?

MIKE
I don't know.

—River Phoenix as Mike and Keanu Reeves as Scott in
My Own Private Idaho (Van Sant, 1991 USA)

M 5.3/W 5.5: Gay Cinema
In-class: “History of Gay Cinema, Pt. II”
Screening: Transamerica (Tucker, 2005 USA)
Due: Journal Response 1

UPCOMING:

M 5.10/W 5.12: Science Fiction
In-class: “Sci-Fi on Film, Pt. I”
Screening: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jones, 2004 US)
Due: Journal Response 2

No comments:

Post a Comment